Monday, May 30, 2005

Making Money On Your Blog

One incredible thing has happened since January of this year. I got laid off from work. I posted to this very blog that I was a house painter and I need some work. I have steamrolled that into my own business and it all came from this blog. The argument that you can't make money from your blog is changing or has changed for me. Almost 100% of my work comes from the blog community, readers I didn't know I had, or friends of bloggers that I know. I make zero off my blog, but I pay my bills through my blogging. I think the key here is that I have not tried to make money blogging, it just happened. I used my blog as a marketing tool to advertise my business. This is how you can make immediate money blogging. I do think that you can make money in running ads, but that requires a lot of readership. Not all of us have this. For those that do money is there to be made, for those that don't-market your business. I felt ashamed and embarrassed at first. I felt like I was pleading and begging. It wasn't what I was doing at all. I soon realized this.

Another way to make money off of a blog is fundraising. Yesterdays Hoggfest was put together mostly on the internet. People in the community spread the word and had a central place to point others for gathering help, donations and volunteers. It was beyond a success. The use of a blog, a wiki and e-mail has revolutionized the way people do business and organize events. Look for another online event here in Greensboro, this October. A large and diverse group are putting together ConvergeSouth2005.

If you need some paint work done e-mail me and I'll get you a bid. Please check out ConvergeSouth and see if you can be of assistance.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.