Thursday, January 27, 2005

Belated Inauguration Rant- Updated

I finally had a chance to watch the Presidential Inauguration in it's entirety. I have been working a lot of hours, finishing up a painting job. I used my Time Warner DVR to record seven hours of CNN coverage. It was a lot to sift through, but...well ya know... I don't have anything better to do.

First off, is this an inauguration or Sunday mass at church. Benedictions, songs about God and a speech that mentioned God more times then anything including Iraq(which he didn't mention at all). I am all for freedom of choice, freedom of speech and freedom to follow your religion. I thought we had a Democracy in this country not a Theocracy.

Secondly, did anyone who watched Bush take his oath notice anything weird. Weird like Chief Justice Rehnquist sounding like Darth Vader swearing in the Emperor. His trach ring was supplying all kinds of Star Wars audio special effects. It was eerie. Bush is the Emperor, Cheney is General Moff Tarkin, and Rehnquist is Darth Vader. I'll make fun of the Democrats a little too. Kerry is Luke Skywalker, Edwards is Han Solo, Hillary Clinton is Leia, Howard Dean is Yoda, and Bill Clinton is Obi-Wan Kenobi. That way I am being fair and not just a Bush-basher.
I was waiting for the Imperial March music by John Williams to come on, instead I got a pre-recorded version of "Let the Eagles Soar" by John Ashcroft .

Lastly, I want to draw attention to the fact that Dick Cheney messed up his oath and no one has said anything. Is what he said legally an oath if it is not word for word? If I didn't recite my marriage vows exactly, I wouldn't be married legally. I have tried to find laws on the books for things like this and so far have been unsuccessful. If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. This is what Cheney messed up on:

Dennis J Hastert and Dick Cheney- VP Oath of Office

Hastert: I Richard Cheney do solemnly swear
Cheney: I Richard Cheney do solemnly swear
Hastert: that I will defend and support the constitution of the United States
Cheney: that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States
Hastert: against all enemies, foreign and domestic
Cheney: against all enemies, foreign and domestic
Hastert: that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same
Cheney: that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same
Hastert: that I will take this obligation freely
Cheney: that I take this obligation freely
Hastert: without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion
Cheney: without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion
Hastert: that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of my office
Cheney: that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office
Hastert: on which I'm about to enter, so help me God.
Cheney: on which I'm about to enter, so help me God.

My thoughts: How can you trust a man who can't even repeat an oath of office to be a pulse away from running this country. Bush didn't mess up on his Oath. I am sure he practiced a whole bunch, but come on, Cheney should have nailed this. I am curious if it is even a legal oath, if he did not recite it properly.

All in all, it was seven hours of drab coverage. A few favorites for me were a live report from the protesters bleachers, and a man yelling(audible over everything else) on CNN, "Fuck Bush", over and over. A protestors sign that reads, "Represent my Ass". I found that funny. At the end of the parade, which it cost to go see(up to $125 per person), Bush goes to the reviewing area. This is the area that he sits, and the administration and friends watch all the marching bands. If you watch very closely, you can see Bush say, "Do we have to really sit here?", as he leans over to Laura and the kids. I know that the seats are a little less comfortable then your Barcolounger back at the Crawford Ranch, and there is no remote to change the channel to Fox news, but it's part of your job. Deal with it.

My biggest complaint in this whole boring piece of history is the sanctioned protestors. Is that not an oxy-moron? What ever happened to getting arrested for your cause and causing havoc to get your point across? It was a weak display of protesting and that kind of mentality will never get anything changed. To top it off, they had to pay for their bleachers section at the start of the parade. You shouldn't have to pay to be heard. It was disgraceful to watch.

That is all, just another boring inauguration, boring speech, boring parade, boring coverage. There was more security forces on the ground then there probably is in Iraq. There was also more armor on the vehicles, but this is a whole nother story.

UPDATE:Correction: In the 3rd paragraph, I corrected John Anderson to John Williams. I confused my composers and as punishment, I will lose a force power. John Anderson is the singer of Yes and a composer and John Williams does numerous scores for movies, including Star Wars.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.