Friday, January 14, 2005

A Rare Rail Site in Downtown Greensboro

I was finished running errands and paying bills this afternoon and had a fever for the flavor of a Green Bean Mocha and the latest issue of YES Weekly(Greensboro's newest newspaper). So, I turned down Elm St from E Lee and there it was. A single rail car. Looked a little weird so when I got home I checked into it. It turned out to be the Federal Railroad Administration's lone T2000 Track Geometry Inspection Vehicle. You can check out a picture here. This inspection vehicle covered over 24,000 miles of railway in 2004. It's purpose is to check every foot of railway for defects that could cause derailments. I am not sure how often this railcar makes it to Greensboro, but it made an appearance around 4pm in Downtown Greensboro. I am going to try to research what the Greensboro rail data is and do an update if the info is available to the public.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.