Saturday, August 05, 2006

Simpkin's Clarification?

There has been a lot of talk on the blogs over the course of time about the Simpkin's PAC. I have heard you pay for an endorsement, I have heard that you don't. So to set the story straight, I went to the horses mouth, I contacted Rep Alma Adams who sits on the PAC.

I told her what I had been hearing about paying for an endorsement and she said, "No way. Let's say you ran for office Jay. If we gave you an endorsement, we don't require you to give us money. What we do is ask anyone that gets an endorsement for a donation to help offset the cost of running the PAC, which is expensive. If you didn't have the money or didn't want to donate, we would still endorse you. We in no way require you to give us anything. We offer the same opportunity to donate as any citizen who wants to donate. Emphatically, in no way do you have to pay for the endorsement "

Sounds pretty clear to me, except the asking for a donation, which if you didn't know what I just told you could come across as a little intimidating for a candidate. I don't know of any other PAC that asks for a donation from it's endorsee's. What I'd like to know is, has anyone ever not donated to the Simpkin PAC and what happened? Anyone care to enter the frey?

I genuinely trust Rep Adams, she has never lied to me in the past. I think that the public should have more of an understanding of how any PAC works. In this case the Simpkin PAC is good for the African-American communities best interest. Something that often goes overlooked to appease the more wealthy tax payers interest.

That is what I know. Hope it helps settle this ongoing debate. At the very least, the conversation continues.

On the blogs in the past here , here, and here.


PS: Thanks Alma on the Minimum Wage Increase. It still isn't enough, but it will help many who need it.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.